Here is a general moving timetable to make your moving day less stressful.
Moving Tips Timetable
Four to Six weeks before your move:
- Obtain estimates from moving companies.
- Notify vehicle registration, licensing and Insurance companies.
- Contact the utility companies to disconnect and reconnect services the day of your move-
- (hydro, water, gas, telephone,cable/internet).
- Telephone doctors, dentists, vets & etc.. to give your new address.
- Notify your bank to have cheques and files changed over.
- Obtain a “change of address form” from your post office.
- Transfer any club memberships to your new address.
- Cancel any service contracts (pool/lawn maintenance, snow removal)
- Put together a file box with all of your moving information.
Two to Four weeks before your move:
- Settle any outstanding accounts.
- Purchase moving boxes and newsprint paper/bubble wrap for packing.
- Notify your cell phone provider of address change.
- Pack a box of items you will need to have immediately when you are in your new home-
- (toilet paper, light bulbs, flashlight, cleaning supplies, snacks, drinks, garbage bag).
One Week before your move:
- Arrange for a sitter for your children and or pets for moving day.
- Pack a bag of fresh nightclothes and next day clothes.
- Verify any move-in procedures and documents with your new landlord.
- Call charities for the pick-up of unwanted clothing.
- Double check the timing of your movers.
- Call your storage facility and reserve the elevator.
Your storage associates are fully qualified and can be an enormous amount of help to you,
so don’t hesitate to call them for information on supplies or any other requirements.